1 lb lean ground beef
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups beef broth or stock
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrot, corn), thawed and drained well
1 1/2 lb gold or red potatoes, cut into large chunks
3 cloves garlic, peeled, halved
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Brown ground beef in large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, breaking the meat into very small pieces as it cooks.
2. Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, and once it’s incorporated add the salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mixed vegetables.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer into a 3-quart baking dish.
4. Add the potatoes and garlic into a saucepan, cover with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Drain very well, and add back to the saucepan. Add the milk and sour cream, mash the potatoes until smooth and lump-free. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
6. Cover the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes, and spread evenly with a fork.
7. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F. oven for 25 minutes, or until golden.
8. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
*If a browned top is desired, broil on high for 2-3 minutes after baking.