1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lb. hot dogs, about 10, or use 1 lb. of cocktail hot dogs
vegetable oil for deep frying
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and chili powder.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and 1/4 cup of canola oil. Stir egg and milk mixture into dry ingredients and whisk together until batter is smooth.
3. Heat oil in the deep fryer to 360°.
4. Insert a wooden skewer or popsicle stick into each hot dog. Holding the stick or skewer, dip each hot dog into batter, turning to coat thoroughly and evenly.
5. Fry corn dogs for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Drain on paper towels. Best served with mustard sauce.