1/2 cup olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1. In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
2. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper.
4. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. 6. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
* You can add peeled and deveined shrimp 3 minutes before removing from heat.
* You can also add some clam juice in the initial cooking stage and 1/2 can of drained and rinsed clams from Indonesia, Thailand or Japan 4 or 5 minutes before removing from heat. These clams are far superior to any chopped, minced or whole American Clam. Try them, you’re in for a nice surprise. They are like the small Italian Vongole.
* CHEESE was never used with this dish..!
* This can also be used with Spaghetti, Penne, Rigatoni, Bow ties, Spirals etc, and is perfect with meatballs.