3 medium-size shiitake mushrooms
8 ounces fresh ramen or 6 ounces dried noodles
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small to medium-size onion, chopped
2 tsp gingerroot, minced
2 cups green cabbage leaves, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
3 tsp soy sauce
ground black pepper and salt, to taste
1. Soak mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Dry mushrooms. Cut off stems and discard. Slice mushrooms thinly.
3. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add ramen. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until tender yet firm.
4. Rinse ramen then drain well. Toss with 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Set aside.
5. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a wok or large skillet over medium to high heat.
6. Add onion and gingerroot and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add cabbage and mushrooms. Stir-fry 3 minutes. Sprinkle with mirin. Stir-fry 1 more minute.
8. Add ramen and toss until hot. Season with soy sauce, pepper, onions, and salt. Shrimp, ham, chicken, or other tempura can be added.